The Ministry of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology (MoHERST)
was establishment in 2007.
ministry's departments are the Directorate of Higher Education,
Directorate of Research and Planning and the Science and Technology
The mission of the
• Provide access to relevant and high quality
• provide high quality higher education services
• make science & technology the engine of growth;
• ensure gender equity in education;
• promote the principle of life long learning;
• promote innovation in science and technology;
• promote research in science and technology;
• ensure sustainable environmental growth.
Before 1999, The Gambia had no university. This meant that
students intending on higher education were compelled to go
overseas with very few returning back to Gambia. As a result
of this failure the the University of The Gambia was established
in 1999 to train and retain skills in the country. Since 2005
the institution has been assisted by the Norwegian Education
Trust Fund to put together a plan of action to identify possible
areas of expansion to meet the needs of the labour force.
Department of Education (Gambia)