Gambia Family Planning Association (GFPA) is a voluntary NGO
that was established in 1968 by a retired doctor named Dr.
Samuel J. Palmer. It began by mainly to offer planned parenthood
information and services to the general population especially
women in their reproductive age.
Today, it is focused on
disseminating and promoting quality sexual and
reproductive health information and rights for all men and women
in The Gambia, particularly young people, and protecting people
against AIDS/HIV via lobbying, advocacy, advice, behaviour
change counselling, use of contraception and the provision of
health care services for partners and individuals.
GFPA is run by volunteers who help formulate policy and make
decisions for the Association which are then carried out through
bodies at the district, divisional and national levels
throughout the whole of the Gambia. The National Council,
elected by the General Assembly every two years, performs the
executive functions of the Association.
The work of the
GFPA is carried out through local meetings, discussions,
lectures, home visits, and videos.
The organisation is
an affiliated member of the International Planned Parenthood Federation
Kanifing SRH Clinic
• Ante-natal care;
• Family planning counselling and contraception delivery;
KAIRO oral conceptive pills, COOL Condoms
Gambia social Marketing Program (GSMMP)
• Treatment of out-patients;
• Infant health welfare such as immunizations against childhood
• Infertility/sub-fertility treatments;
• Laboratory testing services;
• Operation for gynaecological & obstetrics cases;
• Prevention of parent to child transmission of HIV/AIDS;
• STD infection Management;
• Voluntary counseling and lab testing for HIV/AIDS.